Recipe courtesy of From Basque With Love,website frombasquewithlove.com
Butter chicken style sauce is no argument the easiest and yummiest of all of the Indian curries and it is almost guaranteed that you will find all the ingredients for the curry in your pantry. This dish is winner with the kids as the curry is mild and creamy, it will become just about everybody’s favorite curry! If you are more of a traditional or a meat lover just swap the quantity of tempeh for chicken thighs.
SERVES: 4 PREP TIME: 10 min COOKING TIME: 25 min
- 1 Packet of our Indian Pilau rice
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt , full fat
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder or cayenne pepper powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp ginger, freshly grated
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 500 gr tempeh cut into bite size pieces
- 30 gr ghee or butter
- 1 cup passata sauce
- 1 cup heavy / thickened cream
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 250 gr sweet potato cut into bite size pieces
- 250 gr cauliflower cut into florets
- Combine the marinade ingredients with the tempeh in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate overnight, or up to 24 hours (minimum 3 hrs).
- Cook the Indian Pilau Rice following the instructions in the packet.
- In the meantime, heat the ghee (butter or oil) over high heat in a large fry pan. Take the tempeh out of the marinade but do not wipe or shake off the marinade from the chicken (but don’t pour the Marinade left in the bowl into the fry pan).
- Place tempeh in the fry pan and cook for around 3 minutes or until cooked (it doesn’t really brown because of the Marinade).
- Add the tomato passata, cream, sugar and salt and vegetables. Turn down to low and simmer for 20 minutes. Do a taste test to see if it needs more salt.
- Garnish with coriander leaves if desired and serve with the Indian Pilau Rice
You can swap the cauliflower for broccoli and the sweet potato for chickpeas. I also love to serve this dish with naan bread as a side.